Natural Sleep Remedies To Help You Get More Sleep
Article by Niall Roche
Stressing over your finances? Agonizing over your new job? Unable to sleep as a result of all this? You’re not alone. On any given night, a large portion of the population has trouble sleeping. Think of this the next time you find yourself awake at three in the morning, thinking that everyone else in the world is asleep. Chances are, many people are lying on their beds too, wondering if there are natural sleep remedies that they could try.
The good news is that there are indeed natural sleep remedies that can help you catch more than your fair share of zzzz’s. Here are some of the most tried and tested.
1. Calcium and Magnesium. On their own, both are good sleep boosters. Taken together, they are even more effective. The best thing about the combination? When you take magnesium, you also cancel out whatever heart problems you may have to deal with later on as a result from taking in calcium alone. Take 600 milligrams of calcium and 200 milligrams of magnesium every night. If you suffer diarrhea as a result, lower your dose of magnesium.
2. Wild lettuce. Wild lettuce is very calming. One study shows it can even remedy restless legs syndrome. The next time you are unable to sleep as a result of anxiety, joint pain, or headaches, munch on wild lettuce or take it as a supplement just before bed.
3. Aromatherapy. What better way to slip into peaceful slumber than through aromatherapy? Lavender will do the trick quickly. Spritz real lavender onto your pillows just before bedtime. You can buy lavender-filled pillows too; these are available in department stores everywhere.
4. Yoga. Among all natural sleep remedies, yoga is said to be the most beneficial. Aside from soothing the mind, it also works out the body. Because your goal is sleeping soundly, choose the gentle form of yoga. Do not perform ashtanga yoga; this will only invigorate you. Instead, go for easy yoga stretching, and follow it up with simple meditation. While you meditate pay attention to nothing else except your own breath.
5. L-theanine. This is an amino acid from green tea. In the daytime, it helps you stay alert. At night, it helps you sleep deeply. Green tea does not have enough L-theanine to give your REM cycles a boost, however, so go for supplements. Take anywhere from 50 to 200 milligrams just before bed.
Try these natural sleep remedies the next time you find yourself tossing and turning at night. Don’t forget to take a look at your sleeping habits, too. You may need to change a few things. Your lifestyle has a lot of impact on the length and quality of sleep that you enjoy every night.
If you’re not sure which habits need changing, start a sleep diary. This way, you can pinpoint certain behaviors that keep you restless and sleepless. Simple things like paying the bills or talking on the phone just before bedtime could be the culprit.
About the Author
Not able to sleep again? Another night of frustration and another morning of exhaustion. You want to treat your insomnia but you don’t want to take the risk of getting hooked on sleeping tablets? No problem! There are plenty of natural sleep remediesM out there that you can try.