Loss weight with no stress
Article by Marcelo Pereira
The healthiest way to lose weight is neither crash diets nor bursts of exercise. The body likes slow changes in terms of food and exercise.
For example, someone who hasn’t exercised for years shouldn’t rush into running miles a day or pounding the treadmill. Not only will the struggle to do so leave you feeling disheartened and demotivated, you’re also far more likely to injure yourself and set your fitness levels back further.
The same goes for people who suddenly start starving themselves. Diets that severely restrict calories or the types of food ‘allowed’ can lead you to be deficient in the nutrients and vitamins that your body needs.
So, if you need to lose weight, what should you do?
Your body uses food for energy. It stores any excess energy as fat. This means if you eat more food than your body needs for daily activities and cell maintenance, you’ll gain weight.
To lose weight, you need to get your body to use up these stores of fat. The most effective way to do this is to:
reduce the amount of calories you eat increase your levels of activity. This is why experts talk about weight loss in terms of diet and exercise.
Small changes can make a big difference. One extra biscuit a week can lead you to gain 5lb a year – cut that biscuit out of your diet and you’ll lose the same amount.
You’re also more likely to stick to, say, swapping full-fat milk for semi-skimmed or making time for breakfast each morning than a diet that sets rules for all foods.
You should think of weight loss in terms of permanently changing your eating habits. While weight-loss goals are usually set in term of weeks, the end game is to sustain these changes over months and years, ie lifestyle change for life.
Increase your activity levels. Someone who increases the amount they exercise, but maintains the same diet and calorie intake, will almost certainly lose weight.
No matter if you hate gyms – even light exercise, such as a short 20 minute walk, will be beneficial if done most days of the week.
Every single time you exercise more than usual, you burn calories and fat.
If you’re overweight, you can’t continue with your current eating habits if you really want to lose weight.
It’s not possible to reduce body fat while eating lots of food, cakes and sweets. This doesn’t mean you can never have any treats, but you need to learn how to limit these foods to small quantities – say, for special occasions.
Below are ways to reduce calorie intake without having to alter your diet significantly.
– Replace fizzy drinks and fruit cordials with water. – Swap whole milk for semi-skimmed, or semi-skimmed for skimmed. – Eat less lunch than usual. For example, make your own sandwich and limit the use of margarine or butter and full-fat mayonnaise (store-bought sandwiches often contain both). – Stop taking sugar in tea and coffee. – Have smaller portions of the food you enjoy. – Avoid having a second helping at dinner. – Cut out unhealthy treats – such as confectionary, sugary biscuits and crisps between meals. – Cut down on alcohol intake. All these things will influence your health in a positive way.
Finally, don’t be tempted to skip breakfast – or any meal to lose weight. While skipping a meal will reduce your calorie intake for that hour, it will leave you much hungrier later on.
Therefore you are allowed to take a cup of coffee every morning and eat that piece of cake you like so much.
About the Author
Celo has been writing articles online for nearly 2 years now. Not only writes about losing weight but also about beauty and health. If you are able to read in Portuguese you can also check his blogs written in Portuguse that talks about beauty tips ( dicas de beleza ) and solar energy ( paineis fotovoltaicos )
- Is Owning a Fitness Franchise Right for You?
- Yoga at Melabev Senior Center – including Alzheimer’s and Stroke Victims
- Kundalini Yoga for Beginners : The Breath of Fire Pose in Kundalini Yoga & Meditation
- Kripalu YogaDance is the most AMAZING exercise routine!
- How to get the maximum health benefit from Hot Yoga