5 Small Things To Do To Get Started Losing Weight
Article by Victoria Lopez-Smith
Weight loss doesn’t have to be an all or nothing thing. Changing your whole diet and forcing yourself to stick to it every day leads to frustration and a feeling of failure when you eat something you weren’t supposed to. If you miss one gym workout, it’s easy to get off track and miss the next day and the next until you stop going at all.
A better way to lose weight is to slowly introduce small changes every day or week. This way you won’t feel so deprived of your favorite foods and it will be easier to stay on track. Introduce exercise the same way, start out with something simple and then increase the time and intensity later once you are used to doing the shorter workouts on a regular basis.
Here are 5 tips you can use to get started on a path to a healthier you:
1. Get SOME kind of exercise each day. Start with a 15 minute walk, take the dog for a walk, play tag with your kids, walk around the building at work, go swimming or something similar. Make it simple, vow to do something active for 15 minutes each day, no more. 2. Dairy products provide calcium which is important for strong bones so it’s important not to give up these foods. Instead switch to fat-free or low-fat versions of milk, butter, and cheese. No fat butter works great in cooking, you can’t even taste the difference but you save quite a large amount of calories.3. Use sugar-free jelly and syrup for breakfast. Like most people, I love having pancakes or French toast in the morning or toast with jelly. Luckily, there are sugar-free versions of these items that taste great but have a lot less calories. Making small substitutions like this will save you a lot of calories in the long run.4. Start your day with some light exercises using your body weight to get yourself moving in the morning. Keep it simple so that you won’t talk yourself out of doing it when you’re tired. Do 10 repetitions of push-ups, squats, lunges, dips and crunches then do a couple minutes of stretches to finish it off. This shouldn’t take you more than 5 minutes but you will begin your day by burning calories which is a great way to start.5. Each day make a decision to leave out 1 item that you were going to have. Skip your high calorie Starbucks drink, your afternoon can of soda, the bread at dinner, or the evening snack you were going to have. You can save anywhere from 100-700 calories each day by just leaving out 1 single item and not replacing it with something else (unless it has a lot less calories).
I hope these tips will help you as much as they’ve helped me. Successful weight loss involves slowly moving towards a healthier lifestyle. Once you’ve gotten used to the smaller changes that you’ve made, it will be a lot easier to change other things. Before you know it you’ll be losing weight and you won’t even feel like you are restricting yourself.
About the Author
- New Year Resolutions for Grandparents
- Eoin Finn Yoga + Blissology Teacher Training
- Senior Physical Fitness at Home : Shoulder Strengthening Lateral Exercises for Seniors
- Rowing Machine Exercises : How to do a Rowing Stroke Exercise on a Rowing Machine
- Weight-Loss Exercises : Running Workouts to Lose Weight